The Vanguard View: Insight for Association Websites

5 For Friday: Leadership for Associations and All Organizations

Posted by Ray van Hilst on Fri, Mar 08, 2013

Read More

Topics: 5 for Friday, marissa mayer, leadership

5 For Friday: Darwinism and Evolution for Associations and Websites

Posted by Ray van Hilst on Fri, Mar 01, 2013

Welcome to this week’s issue of the 5 For Friday series. Starting with one of last week’s links about evolving your skills, I’ve been thinking about how associations and those of us who work with them need to continually adapt and evolve in order to stay relevant. This applies to web design, engagement, programs and everything we do.

Digital Darwinism. Evolve or else.

My local Barnes & Noble is about to close along with 1/3 of all their stores. It’s going the way of Borders, Blockbuster, Polaroid, Kodak and many more.  Brian Solis explores the concept of Digital Darwinism in an article for LinkedIn. He makes excellent points about how the pace of business is only accelerating and how every company is not only too big to fail, they are too small to fail.

Technology is a game changer and many of the organizations Brian cited recongnized the change too late. The magic question is: How are associations embracing the rapidly changing tides of technology? Or will they get left behind?

Read more at LinkedIn

Read More

Topics: web strategy, Tactics, 5 for Friday, associations

5 For Friday: Website Design, Pinterest, Social Tips & More

Posted by Ray van Hilst on Fri, Feb 22, 2013

Welcome to this week’s issue of the 5 For Friday series. I don’t have a theme this week so it’s a potluck of interesting tips and news I found through this week’s reading.

Pinterest could be the number 2 social network

While we have been tweeting and worrying about Facebook likes, PInterest has roared into our collective consciousness.  Much has been written about what makes good Pinterest content and Maggie McGary even publishes her Pins of the Week.

Which is why this article from Huffington Post caught my eye because it points out how Pinterest is duking it out with Twitter for the #2 social network.  I find it interesting Google+ isn’t mentioned but for some reason the studies they used didn't query about Google+.  

Read more at Huffington Post.

Read More

Topics: association website design, Google Analytics, Pinterest, 5 for Friday, Google+

5 For Friday: Resources & Reading for Association Web Design and Website Management

Posted by Ray van Hilst on Fri, Feb 15, 2013

Welcome to this week’s issue of our 5 For Friday series. Here are five articles or resources that caught our eye this week for people buildling and managing association websites.

Five Forces Reshaping Associations

Jeff Hurt calls out the elephant in the room with this insightful post.  The fact is that association management and the business of associations is changing at a faster and faster pace.  New technologies, nimble competitors (and not just associations) and individual expectations are changing the way associations serve their audiences.

Read more on the Velvet Chainsaw Blog

Read More

Topics: website redesign, association website design, 5 for Friday, content strategy, associations, google anaytics

5 For Friday: Resources & Reading for Web Design, Website Management and Associations

Posted by Ray van Hilst on Fri, Feb 08, 2013

Welcome to the first installment of our new 5 For Friday series. Each week, we will find 5 relevant articles or resources that relate to how associations are building and managing their websites.  Some of these might be new articles and others might be “oldie but goodies.” So grab a cup of coffee and read on.

Content Curation

Read More

Topics: website redesign, association website design, responsive web design, 5 for Friday

Subscribe via E-mail

New Call-to-action

Follow Me

Latest Posts

Our Most Popular Posts

Concepts

Tools